This page last changed on Sep 19, 2006 by scytacki.
There is a new version of some of the units. You should follow the instructions below to update your software.
Install Palm Desktop
First you must have the Palm Desktop software installed on your (teacher's) computer. You can obtain this from the CD that came with the Palms, or you can download the software free from the Internet.
For Windows: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/win_desktop.html
For Mac: http://www.palm.com/us/support/macintosh/mac_desktop.html
Record Palm usernames
Be sure your Palms are charged up and that each one has a username in the Palm Desktop software on your (teacher's) computer.
Keep a record of the students that are using each Palm. Their work will be saved only on that palm, so they must use the same palm each day.
- Go to this page http://teemss2.concord.org/palm/releases/current.htm
- Pick the files that go with your equipment: Pasco AirLink SI or Imagiprobe LC.
- Download both the SensorPort-?.prc file and the LabBook-?.pdb file to your desktop or some convenient place.
Transferring files to Palms
|NOTE: when you transfer the files, it will erase the previous software and student work.|
- Using a PC: Along with the Palm Desktop, there is an application called Palm Quick Install. Open it, select a user, and transfer the two files, SensorPort.prc and LabBook.pdb, to each Palm.
- Using a Mac: In Palm Desktop under ?HotSync?, choose a user and then choose ?install handheld files?. Transfer the two files, SensorPort.prc and LabBook.pdb, to each Palm.
- On the Palm it will be an application on the home screen of the Palm.
- On the PocketPC it will be located in the (Check this)Applications.
Confirm the version
- A Select Portfolio dialog window will appear when you run SensorPort
- if there is an existing portoflio open it.
- if there are no existing portfolios create a new portfolio.
- use any portfolio name you want
- use any student name you want
- save the portfolio
- open it
- Select About SensorPort in the File menu
- on the PocketPC the file menu is at the bottom of the screen
- on the Palm you need to click on the SensorPort title at the top of the screen to see the File menu.
- At the bottom of the About SensorPort dialog window should be the version: v2.2.1
- Select About LabBook in the File menu
- The LabBook Version should be: 2006091467
If you have any questions or problems, e-mail email@example.com or call 978-405-3210.
Instructions for your class
- Your students will be working in groups. Please make sure that the same students are in the same group each day.
- Have your students pick a name for their group to label their portfolio.
- Keep a record of student IDs and group name to send to us.
- Each day, have your students open the same portfolio as they day before, so that all their answers are in one place and they can pick up where they left off.
Multiple Portfolios on the same handheld
Several groups of students can use the same Palm. Each group runs the same application (SensortPort) but creates its own Portfolio, which contains all of that group's answers and data.
When the students open SensorPort, they will see this screen.
Select "New Portfolio" and name it (in this case, "test1). Select a class period if desired. Then select "Add User"
Add and save the list of students using that Portfolio.
When this is done, they can select their Portfolio and hit "Open".
They will then see the basic menu of instructional units and data collectors. Their work will be automatically saved in the Portfolio they have created.
When a group runs SensorPort again, they will see this screen:
They should select their portfolio from the circled list and select "Open". Their work will still be visible.
The next student group to use the Palm will select "New Portfolio" and make their own in the same way as above. They will then open that portfolio and run it.